Forum

Time to retire from Gpokr?
LarsBar wrote
at 2:57 PM, Wednesday February 14, 2024 EST
I think I need to stop playing for my own health/happiness. Gpokr was fun when we had full tables every night and I could play anytime it was convenient for me. Last 6 months I've been top 25 like 5 times but can't seem to get any higher (top 3) as it has been about jumping on to a high table at inconvenient times as I have to work around gpokr's schedule (at work, when I should be with my family, late nights, etc.). Also a few late nights where I can't sleep when I lose big to a suck out or something (started using sleeping pills). I LOVE when people say it's just free chips so no big deal yet I see they play 3x as many hands as me and are ALWAYS here so it IS a big part of your life so don't try to act so cool. Just think it is time to give it up. I did for 3 years and didn't miss it but it is harder for me now that I'm back as I do enjoy the rush of a big win (I'm sure you all can relate!). I did give up live poker about 10 years ago, not because I lost money I actually did well, but because it was effecting my work and personal life. I think it is now happening here so I think it is time to give up gpokr too unless I can learn to take it easy again and maybe setup boundaries for myself (like no late night play). Any suggestions/feedback (especially those who know me)? And please refrain from snarky comments as I'm really trying to be serious here... thank you Gpokr friends!

Replies 1 - 10 of 13 Next › Last »
*Dont Be Mad* wrote
at 3:32 PM, Wednesday February 14, 2024 EST
You cant leave lars. I have resigned myself to the fact I would never get top 3. I have my blue, my white, hit top 10 on 3 occassions, won biggest hand of the month. Think about how far you have gone and just enjoy playing. That is what gpokr is all about fun. Maybe have a break like a month or two and start a fresh. When you find yourself committing to something that is ruling your time there is a problem.Or even when Ryan gets the site working as it should be buy a membership and say to yourself like I do if I lose my chips no more for the month. Just an idea but please dont leave.
LarsBar wrote
at 4:12 PM, Wednesday February 14, 2024 EST
Your kind words really mean a lot to me. Now that I read my post again it's looking more like a pathetic cry for help and a "poor Lars" post which wasn't my intension. I was really looking for good advice like your idea of becoming a member or taking a few months off. The more I think about it... it really comes down to setting boundaries for myself. Like not playing at work and stop playing a late nights if it impacts my sleep. I think I can make it work with boundaries and be happy with top 25 as a goal each month. Thanks Maddy!
tashabee wrote
at 6:04 PM, Wednesday February 14, 2024 EST
I joined the gym and stopped playing all day every day. I also quit drinking wine at home so I watch TV in the evenings instead of sipping wine and playing poker. I still play a lot and like seeing you at the tables. I don't think you should play at work. And getting sleep is important. I wait for the end of the month and play the big tournies to try to get top, but it's fine if I don't. We'd miss you if you left.
LarsBar wrote
at 6:46 PM, Wednesday February 14, 2024 EST
Thanks Tash. I was really hoping you would reply to this. Truth is I'd miss it too (and so many have left so not many of us left!). I think I just need to be disciplined like you and make it part of my life not my WHOLE life. I also think to just build a good amount ($250K-$500K) until the last day and just go crazy like you did last month is a great strategy!
gnice37 wrote
at 8:10 PM, Wednesday February 14, 2024 EST
Lars take some of this advice. Although, it would be nice to get into top 3, it takes a lot of playing time to get there. Set your limits and stack chips and give it a good run on last week. You are a good player and hope you stay around for awhile...not many of the originals are still here.
Big Al Rogorson wrote
at 10:39 AM, Thursday February 15, 2024 EST
Don't quit, Lars. Need more folks like you & I who'll call certain mods out for overmodding.
LarsBar wrote
at 1:57 PM, Thursday February 15, 2024 EST
Thanks Greg, Al, Tash, Maddy - you guys are awesome! It seems it is about setting limits. I need to stop play at night and at work. Make gpokr casual and fun again!
annat wrote
at 2:13 PM, Thursday February 15, 2024 EST
No Lars, who will take me bowling??? :) Seriously, we are working on driving more traffic. Would hate to see you leave!!!
Big Al Rogorson wrote
at 7:54 PM, Thursday February 15, 2024 EST
What if we added strip pokr night?!
LarsBar wrote
at 11:36 AM, Friday February 16, 2024 EST
If we started that Al I would root for you to win every hand!
GPokr - Free Texas Holdem Poker
GPokr is a free texas holdem poker game that is played in monthly competitions.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary