Forum

Time to retire from Gpokr?
LarsBar wrote
at 2:57 PM, Wednesday February 14, 2024 EST
I think I need to stop playing for my own health/happiness. Gpokr was fun when we had full tables every night and I could play anytime it was convenient for me. Last 6 months I've been top 25 like 5 times but can't seem to get any higher (top 3) as it has been about jumping on to a high table at inconvenient times as I have to work around gpokr's schedule (at work, when I should be with my family, late nights, etc.). Also a few late nights where I can't sleep when I lose big to a suck out or something (started using sleeping pills). I LOVE when people say it's just free chips so no big deal yet I see they play 3x as many hands as me and are ALWAYS here so it IS a big part of your life so don't try to act so cool. Just think it is time to give it up. I did for 3 years and didn't miss it but it is harder for me now that I'm back as I do enjoy the rush of a big win (I'm sure you all can relate!). I did give up live poker about 10 years ago, not because I lost money I actually did well, but because it was effecting my work and personal life. I think it is now happening here so I think it is time to give up gpokr too unless I can learn to take it easy again and maybe setup boundaries for myself (like no late night play). Any suggestions/feedback (especially those who know me)? And please refrain from snarky comments as I'm really trying to be serious here... thank you Gpokr friends!

« First ‹ Previous Replies 11 - 13 of 13
generalc wrote
at 1:38 AM, Saturday February 17, 2024 EST
I personally enjoy you being here. Yes, despite your antics...! It is really a poker-fun community. How serious you take the fun - it's up to you. We all hate losing and we all love the lucky hits. You are in control of how much and when you play. Stay - you are part of the furniture(characters) that makes this a poker-home. WE need you!
Created wrote
at 3:38 AM, Saturday February 17, 2024 EST
Cheers for being vulnerable Lars. Not easy to put yourself out there. It'd be sad to see you go. Ive enjoyed your company. You've gone from often complaining, and being a champ even then, to just being a champ. Its been good getting to know you. Be good if you found a way to hang around.

I agree that its ultimately up to you to set boundaries. Easier said than done though. Happy to help if I can. Like, if you need me to keep bluffing you out of the game etc. Just kidding. But seriously, if you set a time period youre gonna play or something, happy to gently keep you accountable to that.

As your gpokr tutor, it would seriously be sad to see you go permanently. Family first though. If its a choice between then the two then its kind of obvious hey...you'd choose me.
NORTHSIDE GRILL wrote
at 1:54 AM, Sunday February 18, 2024 EST
You are playing more than ever,,,Time to what????
GPokr - Free Texas Holdem Poker
GPokr is a free texas holdem poker game that is played in monthly competitions.
CREATED BY RYAN © 2006
RECOMMEND
GAMES
GPokr
Texas Holdem Poker
KDice
Online Strategy
XSketch
Online Pictionary